Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Summer schedule

I might be really jumping the gun, but it appears that summer may have arrived. Hopefully, this translates into less back-breaking preparatory labor and more relaxing tending and harvesting. Since the weather has warmed up and nice sunny days can generally be expected, I'll probably visit our plots twice a week. Most of the time this will include checking water, foliar feeding (once a week), quick weeding, pest insect check, harvesting whatever is ready or needed, and general upkeep.

Today I set up a few tripod bamboo pole trellises for my hops, which are already vining to 8 feet! I'm growing Cascade, Centennial, Chinook, and Willamette hops - all proven pacific northwest varieties (many who share names with northwest Washington locales). I transplanted some flowers, crocosmia and digitalis, as well.

Pepper and eggplant seedlings spent their first day outside today. I brought them back in for the night, as they are the most tender of the tropicals and could be shocked by nights below 55 degrees. They'll be outside in the ground in a few weeks.

No comments: