Sunday, August 30, 2009

New animals

A few months ago my Dad gave me his group of roller pigeons, along with their loft. We spent a few hours getting it unloaded, putting it back together, and getting the pigeons safely housed. About a half-hour later, I was behind the house and I heard birds flapping - looked up to see them all flying around. They escaped - not good! After pigeons are moved they need about a month of confinement so they can re-learn where "home" is (or more accurately, where the food is). So they flew around for a few days, wouldn't come back to their loft. Eventually I was able to capture two of them. Unfortunately, one was killed under mysterious circumstances a few weeks later (I suspect a weasel). So I had one pigeon, until now.

I got 7 pigeons from an older guy who was downsizing his flock. So now I have 8 (and I have built a proper locking door for the loft).

Here's a video of what roller pigeons do while flying - pretty weird.

3 comments:

The Momma said...

Those birds are freaky! They are not wedding material...everyone will be so shocked by the display that they will be talking about them instead of how beautiful the bride is. Oh yeah, or the ruggedly handsome groom. Plus now all I'll be able to think about is protecting my eyes from being pecked out causing me to not even see the beautiful bride and ruggedly handsome groom.
What are their names? Whirly Gig, Death Spiral, Somersault?

Ty, thanks for the tomato trimming tip of long ago. I told Mike about it and he thought it made so much sense that he trimmed all the bottom leaves off all our plants. They look happier already. I'm enjoying reading all the older postings that I've missed. You really give lots of info and have great pics. But I realize if I have comments on old ones I'd better make them on a current post.

TyMarrs said...

Yeah, we'll see about the pigeons at the wedding. I don't think I actually voiced that idea (probably my Dad...). They are actually very tame, so I don't think you need to cover your eyes, but I make no promises about where they might drop a bomb or two.

Yes there are certainly a lot of old posts on here - you can comment on older ones if you want to, I get an email when a comment is posted so I will see them. ;-)

The Momma said...

How come I don't get an email when you comment on my comment? Doesn't seem fair.