Monday, March 29, 2010

March madness

Seed starting that is. The last few weeks I've been starting lots of plants for the garden this year. So to get up to speed:

I've started all my first round of brassicas (broccoli, cabbage, kale, cauliflower), lettuce, some leeks and onions, 9 varieties of tomato, 3 kinds of pepper, tomatillos, and eggplant. Outside, I sowed some spinach and arugula in my cold frame. The soil is getting closer every week to being workable, so in a few weeks I should be able to officially break ground and start planting seriously outside. I can't wait!


I built a new light rack for my seedlings this year. Really simple, just a 1x2 frame holding two 2-tube T-8 fixtures. I made it to so there was room for four standard size nursery flats under it, and so it fit on the laundry room counter.

In other news, I finally found some good manure! Craigslist ad lead to a very large pile of horse poo - a one time $5 loading fee and I was told I could come back as many times as I wanted. The manure is very good; no wood chips, just a little hay bedding mixed in, and it has been sitting since last summer, so it is fairly well composted. I took the oppurtunity to break down my compost pile and rebuild the unfinished portion with the addition of manure. Last year my pile did not heat up as well as I hoped, so this should help.


I'm getting another pickup load this week, which, if it's as broken down as the last load, I'll spread on the pasture garden to be plowed in a few weeks from now.

3 comments:

Gevan said...

Good looking horse crap. I spread about 25 Kubota bucket loads of well-composted sheep manure from my big pile on our garden last week. It's about a foot deep - ought to really help the organic matter level. Mom thinks it stinks and is creepy... wimmin....

Gevan said...

Oh - I just noticed the nice soldier rows of potted trees in the background too. Better get to diggin' !

TyMarrs said...

Well, there can be too much of a good thing ya know...at least you won't have to add any for the next few years!

Oh yeah, the trees, too bad that's only about a quarter of them. I'll get to them, eventually.