Saturday, March 21, 2009

Seeds are up!

This winter I stored my seeds in a big glass storage jar, covered with a tight lid, with 3 or 4 desiccant packets in the bottom. It seemed to work well, as all my seeds are germinating well so far. Most vegetable seed will remain viable for 3+ years, some much longer. Others, like corn or some peas, are advertised as good for only one year. The seed company is likely assuming poor storage conditions and a minimum germination standard of less than 60 or 70% as unacceptable. Simply storing seeds in a cool and dry place, where temperatures remain fairly stable, will get you a few more years of seed life. When in doubt, I seed heavily and often, and buy more only when seed failure is evident.

Snap and snow peas came right up. There's something funky going on with the Mega Snap peas, on the right. The leaves are all crinkled. We'll see if they make it, but I'll be sowing new seed when I transplant these outside.


All the brassicas were up in 4 days; cabbage, broccoli, and kohlrabi.

Sowed tomatoes today too. This year I'm growing plants for my Mom and myself, so I have lots of pots of tomatoes. I'm trying 7 varieties this year - we really like tomatoes. All started in 2 1/4" pots (they'll be up-potted a couple times before they get to the garden).

Chocolate Cherry (heirloom cherry tomato)
Cherokee Purple (heirloom)
Sun Gold (sweet, orange cherry)
Stupice (early slicing, always does well)
Costoluto Genovese (heirloom)
Super Marzano hybrid (Italian Roma-style)
Black Krim (Russian heirloom)



No comments: