Sunday, May 31, 2009

More planting

The weather the last 2 weeks has been sunny and warmer than normal for the end of May, so I took advantage of that to get in more hot weather veggies a little early.

Transplanted:
- two squash (Bush Delicata)
- two zucchini (Raven)

Sowed:
- 12 potatoes 2' apart (red, blue, russet)
- 4 bush cucumber 2' apart (Bush English slicer)

- 6' bed carrot (Nantes variety)

- 6' double row radicchio (Early Treviso)
- 6' double row summer lettuce (Slobolt, loose leaf)

- 6' double row summer European lettuce mix (Redina, Nevada, Cardinale)

This is my first try at potatoes.Two "Red Pontiac" starts from my mom, and seed potatoes from the feed store down the road. I put the seed potatoes in a sunny window for a week or so and got them sprouted.

Dug a 8" trench down the center of one bed, then hoed in steer manure and fertilizer 6" deeper. I added about 1" of soil to cover the compost (apparently, having seed potatoes touching compost or manure when planted can cause potato scab), then dropped in the potatoes and covered 3" deep. When the shoots emerge I will hill up soil around them continuously about 6" high, so the potatoes can form along the covered growing stem. I hope I get a good crop this year!

No comments: