Wednesday, June 10, 2009

First veggies ready

The only complaint I have about the new property is that we didn't get it earlier in the season! Normally I would have the earliest lettuces, spinach, and radishes in by the beginning of March, ready by May. This fall I'll be making a bunch of glass topped cold frames, which means I can put out hardy transplants even earlier and even hold them over our mild winters. Year round food!

Snow and snap peas are ready, the lettuce is now big enough to cut, and the spinach thinnings are delicious. The red kale is ready as well. It is so nice to pick fresh food right out the back door.

Spinach sown just 20 days ago is huge. This is my first successful attempt at spinach.

Red russian kale is supposed to have inferior flavor when it matures in summer compared to maturing into fall. Tastes good to me though.

It is really amazing how fast things grow after they get established. This broccoli was half this size one week ago. Looks like this year will have many "my best yet" results for a lot of vegetables (not too hard to beat my previous attempts).

No comments: