Monday, July 27, 2009

Hot weather!

The weather has been so good this year. The hot weather veggies are loving it, growing fast with lots of fruit coming on. This may be the best pepper year for a long time up here.

Hungarian Black peppers ripening up.

English bush cukes are flowering and setting fruit. They are a nice size so far, tidy enough to put small tomato cages around them for support. Next year I'll grow full size vines out in our field, so they can sprawl as much as they want.

My first try at corn is going well. It's pretty easy. I'd been foliar-feeding every 10 days or so with a weak fish emulsion to keep it growing fast until it began to set ears. This is an ultra-early 60 day variety (Earlivee Hybrid), so it has smaller ears on a smaller plant. Next year I'll grow a 6o day, a 70 day, and an 80 day variety to spread out the harvest.

2 comments:

ijazz said...

I really dug your blog. All that really good looking, healthy food. I wish that I could eat like that more often. My doctor would be very happy with me. Thanks for sharing.

TyMarrs said...

Cool! I glad somebody stumbled upon it - thanks for commenting.