Friday, September 25, 2009

Fall.

It's here. The corn stalks are ripped out, the squash and zucchini plants are rapidly succumbing to mildews and molds, and the slugs have returned in greater numbers than before. Lows for the next few weeks will be hovering around 40 - the temperature below which summer crops begin to struggle. Like last year, I've let fall creep up on me as if I didn't know it was coming. I started my fall crops too late, haven't built my cold frames, and wasn't mentally prepared for rain and cold fingers. My feed store shopping list includes muck boots and a full rainsuit.

But I do like fall. We have a week of rain ahead of us, a perfect time to get cover crops in.

This year I'm trying to grow crimson clover over the whole main garden, except for my 3 or 4 beds of fall and winter crops. I started them a few days ago, when it was sunny and warmer, so I used burlap row cover to keep them moist and help seed germination.

Five days ago..

Cover crop is up.

I also got my plow-down mix planted in the field. But I am behind in the main garden. The cucurbits are ready to be pulled before they spread powdery mildew around, the fallen down beans (windstorm took out the trellis) need to be yanked, and cover crop sown everywhere. Running out of time!

2 comments:

Gevan said...

Ah - the good (farm) life. But those seedlings in the garden rows don't look like any clover I've ever seen - and especially not in 5 days..
At any rate, it's hard to believe that garden plot is the same place that we tackled, hard and full of weeds, just this spring. Amazing what you've done with it.

TyMarrs said...

I used crimson clover last year too, you can look at the "crimson clover" tagged posts to see it. This year I sowed it the week we had sun and 65 degrees, so it germinated real fast. It's a pretty popular green manure:

http://extension.oregonstate.edu/catalog/html/em/em8696/