Friday, September 11, 2009

Nuts update

After my nut tree update I read some more about when nut trees mature and how to harvest them. Filberts will fall from the tree when fully ripe, so all one has to do is come along and pick them up, cure them for a week or so, and store them.

I went out to check the trees and found quite a few on the ground, so I collected them and put them in the garage to dry out. It felt like a lot of the nuts were hollow, and when I broke a few open some were! It felt like about half of the nuts had no "meat" inside, so after they cure I'll have to weed out the bad ones. The trees are still covered in nuts so I will have a lot more to pick this fall.

The green walnut husks will open up when the nut inside is mature, which can then be easily picked. Only one was open, so they are later than the filberts. We have way more walnuts than filberts, so I hope they are good.

No comments: