Sunday, April 12, 2009

Seedlings are growing....

...as they are wont to do. I'm behind on them. The earliest cool weather crops (sown 3/17) are at 2 true leaves and ready to be broken up, pricked out, and each given their own little cell. That will happen this week.

Tomatoes (sown 3/21) are growing quickly. In 2 weeks, they'll be up-potted to quart or maybe 6" pots to grow on until it's warm enough to transplant them out.

3 week old tomatoes.

The peppers sown a week after the tomatoes took about 2 weeks to come up - I was about to buy some new seed until I read the seed packet (duh) and saw that they take between 8-25 days to germinate, twice as long as most seed. I should have sown twice as many pots as I did, as last year I didn't get near as many as I could have used. I will try to start more this week.

Eggplant and pepper seedlings.


Kale sown the same time as the peppers has true leaves emerging. I love their prickly little leaves, but I'm not a huge fan of them as a vegetable! For me, kale is really more useful due to its' cold tolerance. I'll be sowing a second round of this hardy veggie in mid to late summer that will hopefully mature by and hold through winter.

No comments: